Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Very Tough Day...

Today was a very rough day for Saffi transitioning to her new family, but we expected this. This is why we did our research and talked to friends who went through similar situations. While it is very hard for me to just sit here almost 7000 miles away and watch helplessly as my wife and daughter are going through one of the toughest times in thier lives, I know my wife is strong and can get through this tough time.

Today, Shelby found lice eggs on Saffi's head. After washing her hair with lice shampoo, Shelby was advised to go get her hair cut to better expose her scalp. So, Saffi's is going to remember her first haircut with her new family as a very tramatic event. After the haircut, Saffi kept telling the guide "oh my hair, my hair. I am not beautiful anymore." But all we see is this gorgeous little girl that I can not wait to hug.

Shelby also got a surprise phone call from the Foster Family. They would like for Shelby and Saffi to come back to the Foster Village for one last visit on Thursday. While this could be a chance for closure for Saffi and a learning experience for us, we are having some concerns. When Saffi was talking to her Foster Family, she told them that if she goes to the Foster Village, she is not going to come back with her new family. This scared the crap out of us. We thought it might be better for all of us if we paid for the Foster Family to come to Nanchang for on last visit. If anyone has any advise, this would be a great time to share it with us. Nancy, we are relying on you for guidance (no pressure).

Understandably, Shelby is very exhausted and the jet lag doesn't help. So, they went bed at 7:00 pm China time tonight. Yesterday, Saffi slept for twelve hours. I wish I could sleep that long, but I have two 3 1/2 foot human spinning tops that like to crawl into my bed in the middle of the night.

Anyway, here are some pictures of Saffi's haircut. Isn't she adorable?


5 comments:

Ruth said...

Ah. I sent Scott an email. Thinking of you!

Ruth and John

C's Mom said...

You and yours are in my heart.

I love that impish grin of hers.

mama d said...

She's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

She IS beautiful!
Maybe show her some pictures of girls or women w/short haircuts, telling her she is beautiful like them? And some pretty barrettes/ribbons/headbands to dress her up?

Not that I have any experience, but bringing the foster family to you sounds like a good plan. Perhaps the foster mom can encourage Saffi?
She is such a strong willed little girl. That will do her good in the years to come! :)

Still sending out prayers for you all ~

Kim said...

My heart goes out to all of you. Shelby stay strong, you are one of the strongest people I know and you are doing great. She is beautiful. All my love,
Kim