Tuesday, July 25, 2006

July 24th 2006

The day that Sawyer changed our lives forever. We arrived at the Kunming Civil Affairs Office at about 8:30 am this morning. Susan, our AWESOME guide, started us in on the paperwork, a lot of paperwork.

At about 9:00 am, the doorbell rang and Sawyer walked through the front door with his caretaker. It was such a surreal moment, I had to watch it again on video because even though I remember it vividly, I needed to see it again to make sure what I saw really happened. The caretaker immediately put Sawyer down on the floor. After exactly one minute of checking us out(yes, I did time it), he came to Shelby with open arms (on his own I will add).
After about 2 1/2 hours at the Civil Affairs office, we went back to the hotel, grabbed some lunch and went up to the room to get to know one another. It was very hot in Kunming today with a lot of humidity. So we stripped him down to his undies and let him do some exploring. He was fascinated with his reflection in the mirror. I bet he was thinking to himself, "who's the man?"
Soon after checking himself out in the mirror, he took his nap (see picture in previous post). He was out for almost two hours. We slept right next to him in the bed, he wasn't the only one exhausted. When he woke up and got his bearings, we went on a walk through Green Lake Park. He was so wide eyed and curious about everything going on around him. He could not keep his focus on one thing, he wanted to see it all.

His favorite thing to watch was the people singing and playing the Ruan (a banjo type instrument) the Erhu (a two stringed fiddle) and the Gugin (which is like a seven string instrument without a bridge). http://www.philmultic.com/home/instruments/

Many of the local people were amazed that we were able to adopt a little boy from China. They gathered around Shelby and asked many questing. Being the proud parents were are, we loved showing him off. BTW-no one tugged at his clothing, they only wanted to grab his big cheeks. Can you blame them?

Sawyer wanted to get down and stretch his legs after being held all day, but he didn't want too be too far away from Daddy. So he grabbed Daddy's hand and walked with him to the exit on the way to find dinner. He loves to eat as much as his Daddy does and when he doesn't get food, he throws a fit like Daddy does. THAT'S MY BOY!!!

At about 9:00 pm, we all were getting tired. We gave Sawyer a bath and then sat on the bed. All he wanted to do is cuddle up with Mommy. In a manner of minutes, he was out. As I rewrite this at 3:00 am, I wrote this blog earlier but it was erased when I went to publish it, he still has not fussed or cried once.

We are so excited to be his parents, we can not wait until the sun comes up and we start another new day with him. Tomorrow we are off to see the orphanage, we can not wait.

8 comments:

mama d said...

He is simply too wonderful for words, and so sure of himself! And, LOVE the high-and-tight haircut!

F A M, I L Y, you are a family.

grins,
k, f & xq

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family you are!I'm addicted to your blogs. Keep 'em coming, I can't get enough! Take care, Nancy

Kim said...

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to post all day and it keeps giving me errors. Sawyer is SOOOOOO Beautiful. You make such a wonderful family and he is very lucky to have 2 of the greatest people I know as parents. I have tears in my eyes after reading this new posting. I can't wait to come out and finally meet him. Kisses and Hugs to all of you. Love Kim

Mark and Lori said...

I too have been trying to post - this is reading like a beautiful novel! He is amazing and so beautiful. Keep the news coming. Lori

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for this little guy. I prayed for a long time for him when he was on the waiting child list. I can see that he has the best parents a kid can ask for!

Kim M. said...

Congratulations. What a beautiful son you have. God Bless!!!!!!!!

Valeri said...

Your son is gorgeous! I am so thrilled for your happiness!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us posted! You should see us around the office today--we are all choked up with happiness to see you two with your beautiful son. Can't wait to hear more.