Friday, November 14, 2008

We are in Guangzhou.....(From Shelby)

Yesterday was a another trying day. Saffi had another major meltdown and was very aggressive with me - hitting me and kicking me. She even slapped me across the face. But after an hour of this, calmed down and was back to her happy self. Scott and I are pretty strict regarding behavior, so it was hard for me to sit there with her. I had to seriously reprimand her and tell her no.

The plane ride was fine and she was great. She loved looking out the window.

We are now at the White Swan and are so relieved to be here. But it is bittersweet at the same time. I miss Scott and the boys terribly and remember all the great times we had here with the two boys. I am also glad that home is one step closer and that is sad to me unto itself because I love being in China. However, I will say that Nanchang was not what I had expected. There is nothing to do in the city that's close to the hotels and child friendly.

Today we will have the medical visit which should be interesting because Saffi has an undisclosed medical issue. We got our final approval from the FBI so our state approval can now be processed (SCOTT FILL THIS IN WITH WHAT HAPPENED RE FINGERPRINTS). In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania if one parent is traveling, the State REQUIRES you to do a second FBI clearances. While my fingerprints passed with flying colors, Shelby did not do to her hand being ultra super dry (technical term-look it up). After failing twice, the State asked the FBI to do a name search. Which of course came back fine, TODAY, two days before the Consulate Appointment. Without this approval, Shelby would not of been able to bring Saffi home. To make the story more interesting, we did not know we needed to do this until a week before Shelby left for China. Thanks to needing to get a home study update, we found out about it from our social worker that this was a new rule. How fun it was. But, Thank goodness that it is over with and Shelby and Saffi can come home safely.

I am slowly starting to attached to Saffi but we have a long road ahead of us. Here is some pictures of our first day in Guangzhou.

2 comments:

Valeri said...

Wow....I didn't realize Pennsylvania had new rules like that.

You're even closer to coming home!!

Kim said...

Hang in there you are almost home, I hope you can post some pictures of both of you together, it would be great to see. Love, Kim